Repairing my PocketGo V1
I must say I find these retro handhelds quite charming. This one runs a Linux OS with just 32MB DDR1 RAM and can emulate pretty much anything up to the Super Nintendo and Game Boy Advanced.
This time we had a broken micro USB connector. It came off when I unplugged the charging cable:
And here's a detailed view of the carnage.
After cleaning it up, I found out that that a solder pad came off. According to my research, this seems to be the D- (data) pad. It's not necessary for charging, but I wouldn't be able to transfer files to Miyoo CFW (custom OS / firmware) via USB without it (it's still possible to use the SD card for file transfer, though).
That's when I decided bridging the gap with a bodge wire. I had never attempted something like this, so the first try was a mess. For comparison, the wire in the picture is about as thick as a string of hair.
Then I fixed it, and now it's looking a little better.I don't have solder mask available here, so... To make the connection sturdier, I decided to use hot glue. It was also the first time I used hot glue, so I poured too much. 🫣
The lid wasn't closing because of the blob, so I had to melt and spread it with the soldering iron. Then I put it back together and it finally took charge.
But when I tried using the USB file transfer, it didn't work. When I plug it in a Linux desktop machine, dmesg shows:
So I think the bodge has failed. :(
I don't know if the bodge wasn't good from the start or if it was compromised when I melted the hot glue around it to close the lid, but there are two lessons to learn from this:
- Test the device before pouring hot glue on the board
- If it's your first time using a hot glue gun, practice on anything first before attempting a serious repair
At least the device is taking charge now, so I can play it whenever I'm taking the night bus to my hometown. :)
Comments
Post a Comment